Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Miss Recycle Pageant

When I got to my first class after lunch on Tuesday, most of the girls were in the back of the room working on a project.  It looked to me like they were making a dress out of trash bags and wads of paper.  They weren't able to communicate to me what exactly they were doing, so we started class.  I had that same class again in the afternoon, for a much less structured class. I asked the Thai teacher in the office what that was all about and he said they were making their dress for the Miss Recycle Pageant happening the next day.  I let them go ahead and work on it in the next class I had with them. But I still wasn't sure what this Miss Recycle Pageant was.  All I knew was that each class makes a dress out of recyclables, and one person from their class wears it in the pageant. 

I only have one class on Wednesday afternoons, so it was cancelled for the pageant.  A few of us foreign teachers went over to where all the contestants were gathered for judging.  And I was blown away.  There were some very impressive outfits.  And it was also the time for the ladyboys to shine.  The contestants were not only impressively dressed, but their make up was on fleek (I did just go there, but seriously that's the only word that can do the makeup skills justice).  After judging, they walked across campus to the hall.  And again I was more than impressed with the fact they were killing it walking in the heels.  Heels that can really only be described as stripper heels! I wouldn't have been able to stand up without falling off them.  

Once in the hall, each grade level was announced and the representative from each class walked down a "runway" and walked up on the stage.  They were hamming it up too!  And it was awesome to see their fellow students cheering them on.  Once each grade level was presented all of them came back in and went up on stage.  Music started playing and there was some random dancing going on.  Then a few were called out to ask questions (questions and answers were in Thai, so I'm not sure if they were hoping for world peace or not...).  Then the winners were announced.  I'll leave you with these photos!  This was one of the bizarre experiences I've had at school!!

My M1 student - Kaimook


Chompoo - my M2 student flashing me the I Love You sign.  


Karwjaw - my M3 student.  She is always so quiet in class, but she was rocking it on stage.

I'm not sure how this boy got picked. He looked miserable until the music stared, then he was busting some moves!




This one was my favorite, but wasn't a winner

Right after I took this pic, this contestant went down! But handled it with grace and got up and kept on strutting. 
Loved that she rocked her Chucks, pigtails, and a newspaper dress
 
She was a tuk tuk

2 comments:

  1. Omg, I wouldn't even know where to start to make a dress that someone could actually wear out of trash! Some of these are amazing! And also risqué for school!! I had to look up what on clerk meant! I am so out of touch! Ha

    ReplyDelete
  2. We loved the newspaper dress of course. Thanks for sharing great workmanship.....Labette Avenue

    ReplyDelete