Wednesday, August 17, 2016

The doctor is in

For about a week, I've felt like I was getting sick.  Sometimes it seemed like it was allergies.  Other times I'd wake up in the middle of the night knowing I had a full on cold.  But I never got full on stay in bed all day sick.  However, on Tuesday night, my ear started hurting.  I am not one to get earaches.  But by Wednesday morning, it was a full on earache and sore throat.  I was grateful I had my two best classes and they could tell I wasn't feeling well and were actually very well behaved.  In one of my classes, I had to read a rather lengthly passage and two of the students volunteered to read it for me.  I asked Mama Tick if she could write down some earache/sore throat medicine for me to show the pharmacist.  She recommended I go to a clinic and see an ear, nose, and throat doctor.  She couldn't tell me exactly where the office was, but gave me a general area and wrote the name down on a piece of paper in Thai so I could show it to people and get directed that way.  She told me he didn't open until 6:00 pm. 

Around 5:30 I left my apartment and started walking towards the area she told me it was in.  When I got near, I went into a pharmacy and showed him the slip of paper.  He said he wasn't exactly sure where it was, but it was on the street I was on.  I just needed to cross the intersection and I'd be heading the right way.  I came up on what looked like a clinic.  But I saw the words Bausch & Lamb on the wall and figured it was an eye doctor.  Next door was another space with what looked like a waiting room, but there wasn't a receptionist.  I walked down to another pharmacy type place and showed him the slip of paper.  He pointed down and said girl. Since there was no one at the front desk, I just signed in on the piece of paper others had signed in on! There were no other forms I needed to fill out or anything. I sat down in the waiting area and took a picture of the writing on the wall behind the check in desk; send it to the Thai teacher. He verified I was at the right place. Then I just sat and waited and watched some weird Thai TV! 




The receptionist came out and sat at the desk for a bit. Finally, the doctor came in around 6:30, and she started calling back patients. I was #10 on the list. Each patient was taking about 2 mins to see him. She just pointed at me when it was my turn, and asked if I speak Thai I told her no and she stuck her head into the area where the doctor was located and said something to him. I walked back behind the wall and the doctor spoke decent English. I told him earache and sore throat. He looked in both my ears, pushed around and asked if that hurt - which it did. He looked at my throat, pushed on my ear once more, and said infection in ear canal. I went back out to the front desk. The lady brought out some medicine, and tried to tell me what to take and when in Thai…I finally heard her say “mai” which is no. I said it back to let her know I had no idea what she was saying! She had me go back around the corner to the doctor, and he explained he gave me eardrops, antibiotic and another pill I wasn’t sure was for. All for 250 baht (which is $7.15) 

It was about 7:00 at this point, and I was getting hungry. My Pad Thai lady and the yellow place (where I get my fried rice chicken) have both been closed the last two days. They need to coordinate their schedules better to not both be closed at the same time! I had to go to the rude Pad Thai place. (She doesn’t put the Pad Thai on a cool bamboo leaf and she doesn’t know that I don’t like the chili flakes). The way back is by the temple with the mean pack of dogs. One day I walked by and one bit at me. Luckily I had pants on that were baggier in the leg and he got just pants and not my skin. It scared me (I am pretty frightened of dogs in general). I've tried to avoid that way but it is the fastest way home. I turned the corner and could see the pack of dogs out and one was chasing a scooter. It saw me and started growl barking and running my way. I just turned around and started back towards the restaurant, not running but walking fast and just hoping he'd stop following me. And when he got right to the corner he stopped and just stood there with a furious bark. I was relieved. But also thinking I'm going to have to take the long long way home now. I went ahead and took a soi (alley) shortcut, hoping the entire time I didn't encounter another pack of dogs in the dark alley. Thankfully I made it home safely! Now let's hope this medicine does the trick!

No comments:

Post a Comment